Custom picture frames can be a fun and thoughtful way to display pictures in your home, but they can also cost a lot of money. Here's how you can create unique picture frames without spending a lot.
- Picture frame (The frame should be larger than the photo, as you'll want space around the photo for your letters.)
- Photo (Any size, just make sure the frame is bigger than would normally be necessary.)
- Letters from a game of Scrabble
- Colored paper or paper with a design (that will go nicely with your photo)
- Glue gun
Tip: Thrift stores are great places to look for frames, as well as old Scrabble games.
Step 1 Choose Your Word
Choose the word or phrase you want to have with your picture. Shorter words are usually better and variety may be limited by what's included with the game. If you want a longer phrase, choose a larger frame or a smaller picture.
Step 2 Take Frame Apart
Take the frame apart, removing the glass. Make sure the glass is clean and free of smudges. If necessary, use a soft cloth and a little Windex to clean the glass.
Step 3 The Right Layout
Play around with picture and word placement while the frame is apart. You can center your photo or put it off to one side. Try the letters at different angles.
Step 4 Cut Paper
Trace your background paper to the exact size of the glass. Cut it out.
Step 5 Assemble the Frame
Place the glass in the frame. Place your photo against the glass, exactly as you want it positioned, then your background paper, and finally the frame backing.
Step 6 Glue Your Scrabble Letters
Place the letters onto the glass precisely as you want them to look when finished. With the hot glue gun, glue each letter down one by one. Wait for the glue to dry and display your photo in its custom frame!
An easy alternate customization is to glue the letters directly to the frame. Simply place a photo into a frame that fits its size and glue your word or phrase onto the frame itself, instead of the glass.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades